Jim Stovall has been a National Champion weightlifter, President of the Emmy award-winning Narrative Television Network, a successful author, and a highly sought-after speaker. He wrote the best-selling book, The Ultimate Gift, which is now a major motion picture starring James Garner and Abigail Breslin. But what looks like just another amazing success story is all the more incredible because Jim Stovall is blind.
Subscribe to Quest for the Best
3 Key Points:
- Do something now. Don’t wait for things to be perfect because they’ll never be perfect
- Expect the best to get the best. We will always live up to (or down to) the expectations we put on ourselves or let others put on us.
- Find and use mentors and teachers… even if that mean you read their books
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
- [01:40] – Jim shares how he overcame suddenly going blind to become a multi-millionaire syndicated television owner
- He had to give up his dream of becoming a football player
- How you can overcome obstacles
- [03:45] – Why some people achieve their dreams and some don’t
- Passionate people are willing to risk everything and make a good mistake
- Even if you’re not sure what to do… do something!
- There’s never a perfect time to start
- [05:54] – How to find and use mentors
- Jim contacted Ted Turner who ended up becoming a mentor
- The biggest people are more than willing to help people… if you just ask
- [08:23] – Here’s why most people set their goals too low!
- Most people assume good things are out of their league
- Expect the best to get the best
- [10:42] – We all live up to the expectations we have for ourselves or that we let others put on us
- People didn’t expect Jim to do much in life after he became blind
- Jim had to motivate himself and raise his own expectation
- Listen to Jim share a great story about visiting prisoners with a professional MLB player and why they became prisoners
- [13:45] – What to do when your family and loved ones are toxic in your life
- People you care about most can steal your dream
- How to separate yourself physically or emotionally from certain people
- [16:38] – Why people will be negative in your life and how to know when to listen and when to ignore them
- Some of the “Experts” will say something can’t be done when it actually can and should be done
- Jim shares an incredible story about two shoe salesmen and the power of perspective!
- [18:30] – Fear of success is common
- People often get taught that money is bad & that material things are bad
- Many people view successful people in a negative light
- It can be to uncomfortable for some people
- [20:49] – How to change your beliefs and self-limiting viewpoints
- Change the people you hang around
- What changes you are the people you meet and the books you read
- Successful people often start from nothing. The path is what’s important
- [22:08] – Jim shares his biggest failure and how he overcame it
- You cannot be married to the method… be married to your purpose/mission instead
- Failure is never final… it’s just a matter of persistence
- Even a blind person could get a hit in MLB if he had an unlimited number of strikes
- [25:06] – How to come up with an amazing business idea!
- Figuring out how to help other people with a problem creates a successful business
- [26:37] – Why successful people encounter bigger problems and how they handle them differently
- [28:11] – Here’s how Jim defines success
- Success is self-defining. It’s a do-it-to-yourself proposition
- Many people work many years just to get something they didn’t really want
- [32:02] – How to integrate giving and helping others into your life
- We all must schedule those things that are important to us
- Jim explains how he gives
- [33:36] – Why no one really wants money in life
- We want what money can do for us
- We can do three things with money: Buy Stuff, Buy Security, or buy memories
- [35:08] – Jim shares his formula for saving and giving to accumulate wealth & give back
- There’s no right or wrong answer, but it must work for you
- Some money should be spent, some saved, and some given away
- [38:39] – The biggest lie people tell themselves is that they’ll start giving once they have enough money
- Giving allows you to see money differently
- All self-made millionaires are very big givers
- [40:41] – How to stay focused on your higher purpose despite all of the distraction of running a business and living life
- Goals are vital to stay on track
- To succeed in business, your number one priority must be your consumers and their mindset
- Taking care of your employees is also a top priority
- You create wealth and you create value – so ask how you can create more value for those around you
- [43:12] – The one question you must ask yourself if you’re confused or discouraged
- [45:10] – Why you should take time away from everyone and set aside times to contemplate goals and new opportunities
- [47:04] – Jim shares about the one person that most impacted HIS life
- How you can do anything you put your mind to
- Why inspiration can come in the most unexpected way
- [51:52] – Any time you need help… call Jim… Seriously!
1) The Goal Setting Guide: Learn how to set goals and actually accomplish them within 90 days!
2) The Novo Method Success Pack: Create rapid success by learning how to overcome your mental blocks… then build your best body using my proven nutrition, cardio, and weight training program.